In the late 1800s the bell was mounted on the ground in the center of campus to start and dismiss class. Later, it was placed on top of Old College Hall when automatic bells were used, and then on Bryan Hall. The bell was first rung in victory after WSU beat the Washington Huskies
by the women's basketball
team in 1902. Later, the members of the Intercollegiate Knights rang the bell following a football
win. It was subsequently moved to the present College Hall, and now rests on the west side of the Alumni Centre where it is rung by the Student Alumni Connection after each football win.
The bell only rings in the keys 'G' and 'C', unofficially for "Go Cougs
The Palouse Walk tradition started when the sports editor of the Argonaut, the U of I student newspaper, challenged the Evergreen's editor Lloyd Salt. The challenge was that the person would have to walk the eight miles (13 km) to the winner's campus if their team lost. The Cougars
won and McGowan walked the eight miles (13 km) to WSU. The Idaho Walk lasted through the 1974 football season. The Cougars only walked three times in that 36-year span.
Intercollegiate Knights was a selective organization of men in the junior class that existed from the early 1920s to the 1960s. Two stuffed cougars served as mascots between 1919 and 1927. They were the target of several attempted cat-nappings so the "Cougar Guard" was formed to protect them. The group eventually became the Cougar Guard Chapter of Intercollegiate Knights.
During at least the 1980s, the organization was a service fraternity that performed a number of public services, including being ushers at football games. The activities of the group at Washington State
University past 1985, and in the 1970s, are unknown.
A gift from the Class of 1910, the Senior Bench is adjacent to yet another WSU tradition, "Hello Walk". Only WSU seniors were allowed to sit on the bench. Any other students observed occupying it were subject to discipline by the Student Vigilante Committee.
In 1922, freshman had to go through a rite of passage to be accepted by the rest of the campus. According to the May 20, 1922 The Daily Evergreen, freshmen had to accomplish three tasks to "bask favorably in the public eye." They had to paint their class numerals on a 100-foot (30 m) tall chimney known as the "totem pole," though the Sophomore Class would try to thwart their efforts. The second trial involved meeting the Sophomore Class for midnight combat. The losers were thrown into Silver Lake, a man-made lake located where the Field house stands today. And finally, an official, "lawfully regulated" contest of some sort between the same two classes was held. The freshmen were then obliged to wear their green caps the Monday following registration, rain or shine. On Campus Day, held in May, the freshmen rid themselves of the hats by way of incinerating them in "frosh-fire."
The WSU Creamery has also garnered a reputation for fine dairy products, most notably the Cougar Gold sold at the creamery store, Ferdinand's, as well as online and at some local Pullman stores. The cheese is regionally famous and fetches the price of $18 for a 30 oz can. Cougar Gold is Marketed as "a white, sharp cheddar with a taste that resembles Swiss or Gouda" and is "aged for at least one year." Cougar Cheese also comes in various flavors, including, American Cheddar, Smoky Cheddar, Viking, Dill Garlic, Sweet Basil, Hot Pepper and Crimson Fire. Also offering a Cracked Pepper & Chive in the Fall.
Washington State University. (2009, January 29). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 17:55, February 1, 2009, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Washington_State_University&oldid=267107155